It is around this time every year that I begin to reflect on one of my favorite R&B recording artists, Aaliyah. Her untimely death on August 25, 2001, is still something that affects me because she was such a bright light with so much ahead of her. As always, it is refreshing to hear solid and official House music and remixes from our mainstream artists, and Aaliyah was no exception. One of my all time favorite Deep House remixes was the treatment Geoffrey Cee provided for her "coming of age" single, "One In A Million." Upon hearing this track, back in 1997, I was sent into a frenzy to find a copy. Eventually I was able to acquire my own copy of the classic, Atlantic/Blackground double vinyl promo, that I so cherish!
Every time I see Geoffrey, I tell him that he is a craftsmen of several of my most favorite Deep House remixes. As a mixologist, he knows how to take a song to another level without losing its intended essence. I felt the remix for "One In A Million" was ingenious! His Deep House flavor and Aaliyah's vocals fit like a glove so smoothly and naturally. In essence, he captured her true identity because that was Aaliyah's overall style. She always had that smooth, sweet quality about her that made her art and music refreshing to experience. She may be gone, but certainly, she is not forgotten. With this remix by Geoffrey Cee, we can continue to celebrate her in a major way.
Take a listen and also seek out additional remixes from Geoffrey Cee! He has a long list a treatments that will get you grooving!
No comments:
Post a Comment